Saturday, February 21, 2015

Jesus Alone Above All

"Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in Heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there. The Gospel is not a way to get people to Heaven; it is a way to get people to God. It's a way of overcoming every obstacle to everlasting joy in God. If we don't want God above all things, we have not been converted by the Gospel."- John Piper

Wow- challenging indeed, but so true. It brings Psalms 137 to mind for me- it's about the Israelites lamenting being able to rejoice and sing The Lord's song while in captivity in Babylon- and longing for Jerusalem. Of course, what a perfect picture of our residence on Earth, as we long for New Jerusalem. (Revelation 21:2)
"How shall we sing The Lord's song in a foreign land? If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill! Let my tongue stick to the roof of
my mouth, if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy!" (Psalms 137:4-6) Oh, may that be true of me, Lord Jesus. You are the Pearl of Great Price, the Jewel that the merchant sells everything to own. "Whom have I in Heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalms 73:25-26) "For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness." (Psalms 84:10) Lord, forgive me for making an idol of anything and for desiring anything more than You. Help me to want You and seek You and love You and follow You all the more. You alone are worthy, Lord Christ. You deserve all attention and praise.
You are the hidden treasure in a field. You are the Pearl of Great Price. You are the Prize, the Treasure, the Dream- You alone are above all. Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord of all! (Philippians 2:9-11)
“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.  Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it." (Matthew 13:44-46)

All to Jesus, I surrender- all to Him I freely give. ("I Surrender All" by Judson W. Van DeVenter)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2yuZtVfLg

 

Who have I in Heaven but You, Jesus? And what better could I hope to find down here on earth? I could search the most distant reaches of this world but I'd just be wasting my time 'cause I'm certain already I'm sure I'd find You're my one thing! ("My One Thing" by Rich Mullins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aqP-A4tKCA

"Blessed are the pure in heart."- Jesus
"Purity of heart is to will one thing."- Kierkegaard

Jesus, You're my one thing.
 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome verses! And I really liked the quote connections made at the end there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, for sure. Great verses to think on and praise Jesus while reciting. I can't take credit for much of this- I saw the John Piper quote from a friend's online post and this blog entry was born out of a response to that. And the quote connection at the end I credit to Rich Mullins, as he had that posted in the liner notes with the original release of "My One Thing" on his "Never Picture Perfect" album. And I love them. :-)

    ReplyDelete