Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Father's Enduring Love

      ( I keep doing this. I read books. And then I get knocked over by The Lord's Spirit and I just want to share the truths He's reminded me of again once more. And then what is intended to be a paragraph or so becomes another blog entry.  (That's a good thing in some ways though, as I'm always glad to have more devotional prose to add, if just for variety's sake if nothing else. More so than that, this is also all written on the spur of the moment, straight from the heart.) (Hopefully, not that other pieces aren't- but not everything is composed in the span of one sitting, as this piece was.)
As always, if anything in there is downright awful- it's me. If anything good- it's all God.  Thank You, Lord Jesus, for the ability to write and the reason to do so.)         
        I've never been one that's good at picking favorites. But I will say that while I love every single verse of The Holy Bible, these two are some that I particularly love and find incredibly moving and overwhelming every time I read them. First, in a succession of parables from Jesus, we hear about the lost sheep the shepherd goes to find, the lost coin the woman goes to find- and then the lost son the father goes to find. (Jesus mentions the father saw him from a long way off, indicating that he had been looking for him.) And we hear these beautiful words in this parable-
        "And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him." (Luke 15:20)
My other Bible verse I want to share gives us the picture of how God did exactly this for us.
        "But God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
In these two verses, we get such a great picture of God's amazing grace! That is something that we gloss over too often and let it become so old and comfortable to us that we forget the astonishing wonder of it. If we were to really sit in silence and ponder the intensity of the love God has for every single person, we would and should be truly overwhelmed and bowled over. This is why Charles Wesley's "And Can It Be?" has always been one of my favorite hymns. "And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Savior's love? Died He for me who caused His pain- for me who Him to death pursued! Amazing love- how can it be? That Thou my God should'st die for me!"
        But praise God- it's true! I can't and don't understand it- I don't know why He'd want me or any of us- but somehow He does. No matter how many times we sin and mess up and fall down in the mud and slime again and feel broken beyond repair- before we can even make all our vain acts of penitence and apologies for the trillionth time- God still is the God of the impossible who can put right broken hearts and repair His creation to what we are meant to be all along. (Matthew 19:26- impossible for us- we can NEVER do it in our own efforts- and we NEVER have to. God alone has done it and it's done!)
We need only receive His love shown for us through His death and Resurrection and fall weeping at the feet of Jesus once more. Absolution comes before apology- forgiveness offered before repentance- grace before good works. And any good works we do are really His work in any case. Ephesians 2:8-10 gives us such a wonderful model when we read it together. "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."
       When His amazing grace and love washes over us and washes us clean, the only appropriate response is immense gratitude which demonstrates itself in a changed life. This is not of our own power- this is a miracle that happens when we are emptied of ourselves, as Christ emptied Himself (see Philippians 2)- and we are cleaned out of all the corrupt, sin-sick encasing that is our old identity and we are filled instead with the wholly pure life-giving Holy Spirit, Who is our new identity in Christ. We have died and now it is Christ who lives in us and through us. (Colossians 3:1-4) God our Father mercifully takes Ezekiel's dry bones and clothes them with flesh again and makes them alive- just as He does with us. (see Ezekiel 37). We're not perfect yet, but we're being made perfect as we progress from justification through sanctification to glorification in Heaven.
         "Ask people what they must do to get to Heaven and most reply, 'Be good.' Jesus' stories contradict that answer. All we must do is cry, 'Help!' God welcomes home anyone who will have Him and, in fact, has made the first move already. Most experts- doctors, lawyers, marriage counselors- set a high value on themselves and wait for clients to come to them. Not God. As Soren Kierkegaard put it,
          'When it is a question of a sinner He does not merely stand still, open His arms and say, 'Come hither'; no, He stands there and waits, as the father of the lost son waited, rather He does not stand and wait, He goes forth to seek, as the shepherd sought the lost sheep, as the woman sought the lost coin. He goes- yet no, He has gone, but infinitely farther than any shepherd or any woman, He went, in sooth, the infinitely long way from being God to becoming man, and that way He went in search of sinners.'
Kierkegaard puts his finger on perhaps the most important aspect of Jesus' parables. They were not merely pleasant stories to hold listeners' attention or literary vessels to hold theological truth. They were, in fact, the template of Jesus' life on earth. He was the shepherd who left the safety of the fold for the dark and dangerous night outside. To His banquets He welcomed tax collectors and reprobates and whores. He came for the sick and not the well, for the unrighteous and not the righteous. And to those who betrayed Him- especially the disciples, who forsook Him at His time of greatest need- He responded like a lovesick father."
(from "Lovesick Father" chapter of "What's So Amazing About Grace?" by Philip Yancey, page 55. Copyright Zondervan, 1997.)
         Praise and thank You God, my lovesick Father, who dares to love and embrace sin-sick, adulterous betrayers and doubters like me. Thank You for continuing to love and be faithful even when I'm not. Thank You for loving this sojourner and wanderer and ragamuffin. Thank You, Lord, for Your everlasting love! (Jeremiah 31:3) I am overwhelmed every time I think about it and Your amazing grace! As we embark on this Lenten season, may Your incredible sacrifice of love continually be impressed upon our minds and hearts and may Your bread and wine fill us so much that we find contentment solely in You. May Your living water well up in us and overflow to others so they may experience Your love as well. May our ill-gotten gains and evil escapades taste like only the gravel in our mouths that they always are every time. (Proverbs 28:21, Proverbs 30:7-9, Proverbs 27:19-24, Proverbs 26:11, Proverbs 23:1-9, Proverbs 20:17) I am so sorry for the many times I have been what I should not be- but thank You for loving me as I am and not as I should be- because none of us are as we should be. But just like You shaped Rich Mullins and Brennan Manning before me, You're still shaping me too. May Your amazing grace continue to shape all of us Your children into the people of God you want us to be.
          "Out of the depths I cry to You, O Lord! O Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy! If You, O Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But with You there is forgiveness, that You may be feared. I wait for The Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I hope; my soul waits for The Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning. O Israel, hope in The Lord! For with The Lord there is steadfast love, and with Him is plentiful redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his iniquities." (Psalms 130)
         "Whom have I in Heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalms 73:25-26)
           "Simon Peter answered Him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that You are the Holy One of God.' " (John 6:68)
            "For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness." (Psalms 84:10)
           Heavenly Father God, Lord Jesus Christ, Counselor Holy Spirit- Blessed Three-in-One -may those prayers truly be true of me and all Your children. I need You every hour and I love You because You have first loved me with such wonderful love, incredible mercy, longstanding patience and amazing grace! Thank You.
(A song of benediction from one of my favorite Christian songwriters ever. I can't wait to meet Rich Mullins in Heaven one day and be "Growing Young" with him there as we worship The Lord Jesus Christ for eternity together. I must also acknowledge Brennan Manning and thank him for letting the Holy Spirit speak through him in writing "The Ragamuffin Gospel". I can't wait to meet him in Heaven one day as well. And I must give thanks as well to Philip Yancey for letting The Holy Ghost move in him as he wrote "What's So Amazing About Grace?" Whether in exile or exodus, I would love to meet him one day too.)

3 comments:

  1. Another favorite Rich Mullins song- and the message he shares at the start of this video very much says a lot of what I said here- I love how he says that God loves everyone and it just means He has no taste- because He truly loves every single person- not just the ones we think He should associate with- every single one. Praise God!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2KOCgC8DnU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, powerful post, Nate. And great point about Jesus' parables there. I think one of the interesting things about growing spiritually is that while we learn and understand more about God in some sense, we actually learn more how unfathomable and incomprehensible His love and His grace is. By growing closer, we see more rightly how far above He is from us and yet still loves us no matter how small we stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. And amen to that, Kevin. Great point. I agree- as we grow in faith in Christ, we come to understand more and more just how great a sinner we are- and how great His love and forgiveness is all the more. Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more! Another favorite hymn there- "Grace, grace-God's grace- Grace that can pardon and cleanse within. Grace, grace- God's grace- grace that is greater than all my sin."

    ReplyDelete