Sunday, April 19, 2020

Candle On A Stand (song)

Note: With tomorrow being the 21st. anniversary of the school shooting at Columbine High School in Littleton, CO that took the lives of 15 people, I thought I would pull out of the archives this tribute I wrote some years ago for one of the victims. My original introduction and thoughts are below.
...................................


One other comment I wanted to make on spiritual matters here. This thought kinda came to me a while back and it just reminded me of 1 Corinthians 1:25. I LOVE this verse! I love how God’s kingdom is so backwards to this messed-up world. And I got to thinking- If beauty is all in the eye of the beholder, then so is ugliness. What God calls ugly, the world calls beautiful. What the world calls ugly, God calls beautiful.
I think one person who really exemplified this concept to me was someone who has recently been added to my pantheon of Christian heroes and heroines.
The first victim of the Columbine High School shootings on April 20, 1999- Rachel Joy Scott.  I read a book recently called “Rachel’s Tears” that her parents wrote about her life and spiritual lessons we can take from her life and the Columbine tragedy. I love that not only was Rachel committed to Christ to the very end, she was just such a great example of His love to so many people throughout her high school years especially. She just had such a great perspective- that it’s not about us at all but it’s about Christ. This is why she consistently put others’ needs ahead of her own and talked about losing self-esteem to find Christ-esteem instead. I love some of her quotes- “I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, it will start a chain reaction.” And another great one- “I will not defend my faith to them. I will not apologize for speaking the name of Jesus and I will not hide the light God has put in me. If I have to sacrifice everything, I will.” Wow- may we all be willing to say that.  Along with others like the people in The Bible of course and Jesus Himself- she’s among a group of people (Rich Mullins, Larry Norman, Keith Green, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Eric Liddle, Hudson Taylor, Lottie Moon, Dietrich Boenhoffer, Jim Elliot, Mister Rogers and others) I definitely can’t wait to meet in Heaven one day.
 So this is my little tribute to Rachel and the Lord Jesus that she so well exemplified.


“Candle on a Stand” (parody of “Candle in the Wind” by Elton John and Bernie Taupin; copyright Nathan Ludwick 7/26/2009)
(John 11:25, John 16:22, Matthew 5:1-16, John 12:24, Hebrews 11:1 and 32-40, Revelation 6:9-11)

Goodbye Rachel Joy
Though I never knew you at all
You had the faith to hold your stead
While knowing you’d be mauled
You called out to do God’s work
And you filtered into their pain
They said you were an angel
And your faith lived out your name

(Chorus 1)
(And) it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle on a stand
Ever glowing- 5 in Matthew
Then 15 says it
(And) I would have liked to have known you-
But I was just distant
Your candle burned out only for
Millions to begin

Loneliness was tough
The toughest role you ever played
Columbine greeted with a “New here?” smile
The pained saw The Christ you claimed
Even when you shined
Oh, your friends still turned on you
Oh, your faith just would not sway
‘Cause your Best Friend you’d found to be true

(Repeat Chorus 1)

Goodbye Rachel Joy
Though I never knew you at all
You had the faith to hold your stead
While knowing you’d be mauled
Goodbye Rachel Joy
Your compassion made a chain reaction and
Whose seeds you have sown like John 12:24 (two four)
Well done, good and faithful lamb

(Repeat Chorus 1)

(And) I would have liked to have known you-
But we’ll meet in Heaven
Your candle burned out only for
Millions to begin
……………………………………………………………..

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. A lot of the lines were based either on something that happened to Rachel or something she said. If you're interested, the book I mentioned about her life ("Rachel's Tears") is well worth the read.

    ReplyDelete