Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Give in Extravagance

Weird observation of the day- I saw a car today with what looked like a link to use on an app to give someone funds, presumably as a means of aid for college perhaps. I thought the concept of mobile panhandling was interesting and then it struck me that GoFundMe campaigns and such are essentially just electronic panhandling. Sure, we generally deem them to be for a good cause but it's still begging for money. This is just dressed up with perhaps better diction and presentation than the guy on the side of the road holding a handmade sign asking for spare change for a veteran in a rough time.
It's hard to determine who is really genuine or not about their needs. (Though it's interesting that we don't tend to question the online giving campaigns as much as we do the in-person campaigns on the side of the road.) I may get taken for a ride at times but my general rule of thumb is to try to believe the absolute best about someone instead of assuming the absolute worst. I would rather give money when I can in good faith that the person will use it for something good than to withhold from doing good to those in need. If they use it for something evil, that's on their conscience, not mine.
I do believe in being wise with money, of course. And I do tend to offer to buy a meal for those who are hungry and thirsty, which gives me an opportunity to talk further with them and hopefully share The Gospel. I want them to know the One who gives the living water that quenches all thirst and wells up to eternal life- The Lord Jesus!
And I don't say this to condemn anyone for how they approach this. Everyone should cheerfully give whatever The Lord has laid on them to give, never out of compulsion. God loves a cheerful giver! :-) (2 Corinthians 9:6-15)
I take some inspiration from my grandfather, who was not necessarily super wealthy but made good money- and was generous with it and blessed others as God had blessed him. More than anything, I take inspiration from the command of my Lord and Saviour to freely give as I have freely received. I know I am not all I should be on this and I fail many times to give as I should. But more and more I want to unabashedly give it all away and pour out all my treasures to help others, like Mary anointed Jesus' feet with oil. (John 12:1-8)
He has blessed me and given to me in extravagance; I can do no less than to equally extravagantly shower the people I love (family, friends, the household of faith)- and shower the people I don't love as I should- or don't even know- with love and grace. That is what we should strive for as people who have been forgiven for such a multitude of sins with Love that covers and forgives and cleanses from them all!
May we all be weird enough to the world to be known as such lavish givers of benevolence and God's mercy and grace! As St. Francis of Assisi prayed, it is in giving that I shall receive.
And as Lord Jesus said, it is more blessed to give than to receive! Give it all away. (John 1:14-17, Luke 6:38, Luke 4:16-21, Hebrews 13:15-16, Proverbs 11:24-25, Malachi 3, Acts 20:35, Romans 5:8)

2 comments:

  1. Amen! May we be as generous as we are discerning (if not more so).

    ReplyDelete