Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Hooked on a Tree Limb (song)

Note: Here's another one from the archives. This song came to mind today when someone mentioned not hearing the original one in a while until the "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie made it popular again. Since I previously posted parody song lyrics that told about the fall of David and subsequently his family due to his sin with Bathsheba, I thought this might be a nice follow-up song, as this one talks more about that family fallout that David went through. And by the way, I love B.J. Thomas [a great Christian artist known for "Home Where We Belong", as well as "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" :-)], but this Blue Suede's version. So enjoy (or pretend to do so anyway) another one. :-)

I don't want to step on anyone's feelings or their blue suede shoes, so no disrespect to Absalom here. But yeah- this song is from his point of view, but there's also an omniscient narrator thing going here, as David's reaction to the death of his son bears a resemblance to another Father who mourned for His creation.


"Hooked on a Tree Limb"

(parody of “Hooked on a Feeling” by Blue Suede; copyright by Nathan Ludwick 5/26/2013)

(2 Samuel 11-24 [specifically chapters 13-18], 2 Samuel 18:33, Luke 13:34, Romans 5:8])


[Ooh-Ab-sa-lom, ooh-Ab-sa-lom, ooh-Ab-sa-lom! x5]
 (fades in background, but continues through first verse)

I can’t stop this spearing

Deep inside of me

Well, I just now realize

What this did to me

Overthrowing

With an armed turf fight

To get me crowned

As the King of Israel-ites! (iiiitttess!)
 
([Ooh-Ab-sa-lom, ooh-Ab-sa-lom, ooh-Ab-sa-lom!] ceases)
 

(But) I’m hooked on a tree limb

I’m high like the ceiling

They sure will rub out me!
 

It’s a complete tragedy

(It’s)David’s sin multiplied

Swirled up lots of hurting

Me and my brother wound up dying

Look it up- 2[Two] Samuel
 11- Read to end
I just ain’t a victim

Also am (a) villain

All my good looks

Befit me for the throne

Sweeping up folks

Like a politician,

(now) I-I-I-I’m

Hooked on a tree limb

I’ve lied and deceived them

Joab ignored the king
 
(Instrumental interlude)
 
[Ooh-Ab-sa-lom, Ooh-Ab-sa-lom, Ooh-Ab-sa-lom! resumes]
 

Dad gave me love

I tried to take his throne

Weeping for me

Yet I did you so wrong
 
[Ooh-Ab-sa-lom, Ooh-Ab-sa-lom, Ooh-Ab-sa-lom! ceases]
 

I-I-I…. I’m hooked on a tree limb

I died from the spearing

It’s sure a sad ending

But look at Dave’s weeping

Reminds me of Jesus

34 in Luke 13
 
God had Him nailed on a tree then

When you and I were just sinners

He’s sure in love with us!

{Christ booked me for Heaven

And His rise means we’ll rise then

Romans 5:8- go read!}
 
{repeat}
 (and fade)
.....................................................................................

3 comments:

  1. By the way, here's the previous parody song about David and Bathsheba's sin and its consequences (and the Hope that God still brought out of that) that I mentioned- http://wordapplelyspoken.blogspot.com/2016/11/hope-from-disaster-song.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice of song for that parody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks- it's definitely a favorite. :-)

    ReplyDelete