Thursday, January 12, 2017

Songs to the God of my life

"For You are the God in Whom I take refuge; why have You rejected me? Why do I go about mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?" (Psalms 43:2)
"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God." (Psalms 42:5 and 11)
"O Lord, God of my salvation; I cry out day and night before You. Let my prayer come before You; incline Your ear to my cry! For my soul is full of troubles and my life draws near to Sheol." (Psalms 88:1-3)
"But I, O Lord, cry to You; in the morning my prayer comes before You. O Lord, why do You cast my soul away? Why do You hide Your face from me?" (Psalms 88:18)
"Consider the work of God: who can make straight what He has made crooked? In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him." (Ecclesiastes 7:13-14)
I am so glad that The Lord included verses like these in The Bible. There are so many times in life when it might feel like "the darkness is my only friend" (as the end of Psalms 88 says) and that I just am not close to God or I just am not hearing from Him or something. Sometimes I cry out to God and my only answer is the silence of God. Sometimes it feels like He's playing hard to get; of course, I think He and His ways are just plain hard to get. (Isaiah 55:8-9) I'm glad that there is still joy in the journey though- and I do know that in the end, The Lord is always there and never leaves or forsakes me. Instead, He suffers alongside me. I trust in The God Who is not distant- the God Who is always very near- the God Who left His throne to come to earth for me and suffer alongside me. As Moses left the palace of Egypt to suffer alongside his people, so Jesus left His Heavenly throne and palace to suffer alongside His people that He had made who went astray from Him.
"For because He himself has suffered when tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted." (Hebrews 2:18)
(See also Hebrews 4:14-16 and all of 11 and 12:1-17 and all of Romans 8.) We have to keep looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured from sinners such hostility against Himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In our struggle against sin, we haven't yet resisted to the point of shedding our blood- but He did. Jesus spent the hours leading up to His crucifixion weeping alone in the Garden of Gethsemane, begging God the Father to take the cup from Him if possible- but nevertheless, Thy will be done! His friends couldn't even watch an hour with Him.
And in the horrible suffering Jesus endured- not merely in the physical- but also in the spiritual sense- the moment when He was ripped from the presence of God and felt as utterly cast out as the psalmist in Psalms 88- when He who knew no sin became sin for us so that we might be justified- He suffered incredible pain and loss- but He also overcame it. He rose again and defeated sin, death, the devil and hell- so that none of us would ever have to face eternal punishment. He bought us our salvation at an incredibly high price. "So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through His own blood. Therefore let us go to Him outside the camp and bear the reproach He endured. For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. Through Him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge His Name." (Hebrews 13:13-15)
For the moments that I feel faint like Relient K, I know that you should never underestimate my Jesus because He will be strong when I am not. And even when I can't feel Him near and I don't think I'm getting any answers and I feel rejected, lonely, in pain and suffering and all alone- I will still trust and know that He's here. "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him." (Job 13:15)
Three of my favorite songs express this so well in different ways. (I love how all three of these speak of how we share with Jesus- not just in His glory when we are with Him in Heaven- but also in His suffering.) These are not the kind of songs you sing at church for worship, even though I think they sure can be a form of worship. It's a brazen, raw and honest outpouring of the heart to God- something that I think God loves to see and something I strive to do in prayer. I'm glad to know He's always listening and still giving rest to all those who take up His yoke. (Matthew 11:28-30) Whether I always feel it or not, I trust that that verse is true. And I trust that ultimately, our present suffering can't compare with the glory coming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fIP_bKxjLs
("Joy in the Journey" by Michael Card- one of my favorite theologian songwriters- an encouraging song that acknowledges the weariness that comes in the journey while we are strangers on this earth in the time of our exile. (1 Peter 1:17-19)) "Who belong to eternity stranded in time and weary of struggling with sin."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2STr5qPlIM
("Hard to Get" by Rich Mullins- one of my all-time favorite songwriters period! And one of my Christian heroes. I love how both this song and Michael Card's song speak of the comparisons between our present state and God's state. "You who live in eternity hear the prayers of those of us who live in time." (1 John 5:14)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvytewIxll0
("The Silence of God" by Andrew Peterson- one of my newest favorites. Andrew Peterson is a huge fan of Rich Mullins as well and it's evident from his songs, though he has his own poetic style as well. He's also a fan of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien! This song speaks so well to the aching and hurt that comes with hearing only the silence of God in response to our cries. But it doesn't mean that God doesn't hear us- "And The Man of all Sorrows, He never forgot what sorrow is carried by the hearts that He bought." (Hebrews 12:1-4)

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts, and good songs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks- many times songs have been so helpful in encouraging me along The Way. Those three are some of my favorites, for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete