Sunday, March 3, 2019

Zombies, Vampires and Werewolves- oh my!

      The current obsessions lately in pop culture seem to be zombies, vampires and werewolves. Well, if you want brains, "let him who lacks wisdom ask of God who gives liberally." (James 1:5) "Who has known the mind of God?" (Romans 11:34) Followers of Jesus- because "we have the mind of Christ." (1 Corinthians 2:16)
      If you want blood, forget the blood of bulls and lambs and goats because God has no pleasure in them. (See Isaiah 1:11) Their blood can't take sins away anyway. (Hebrews 10:4) But blood has to be spilled for the forgiveness of sins (Hebrews 9:22). And God has spilled His blood for us (Acts 20:28) and it washes us white as snow. (Isaiah 1:18)
     But we've got to drink Jesus' blood to have that forgiveness- and eat His flesh. (See John 6:25-59, particularly verses 53-58) If you just want to get a bite without fear of silver bullets, chew on this- "Taste and see that The Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." (Psalms 34:8)              And before mummies become the next big thing or any other Scooby-Doo villians, here's something to wrap things up. "If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised, 'Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.' " (1 Corinthians 15:31-33) But, as we go on to read in the rest of that chapter, the dead are raised. And Jesus rose from the grave- and because He lives, we can live also when we put our faith in Him.
      We don't need to fear any monsters or ghosts of the dark heavenly realms- "Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world." (1 John 4:4) I ain't afraid of no ghosts- but I do fear and respect The Holy Ghost. And even though "I am in the midst of lions; I am forced to dwell among ravenous beasts- men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords" (Psalms 57:4) - I know my Good Shepherd walks wiith me through the valley of the shadow of death (John 10:11-14 and Psalms 23). And He has said, "I will grant peace in the land, and you will lie down and no one will make you afraid. I will remove wild beasts from the land, and the sword will not pass through your country." (Leviticus 26:6) And surely His goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of The Lord forever. :-)

2 comments: