Friday, July 24, 2020

I Trust Myself (song)

It's been said that if we're always looking down on others, we can't see what's above us. This is the original sin that continues to plague humanity- proud eyes that won't look up for help. Even before the disobedience of man in Eden, Lucifer's pride got him kicked out of Heaven. It's only when we can recognize that we're not self-sufficient that we can in humility reach out to God as He's already reaching out to us in Christ. The final solution for sin was given after years of scapegoats that covered sin; instead God sent a Lamb to take away sin through His death and Resurrection. And like the Pharisee and tax collector learned in Luke 18, it's the one humble before God who went away justified. May we all be willing to fall on our faces before Him, beating our breasts begging for His mercy because we are sinners. He is always gracious to us to grant forgiveness when we humbly ask for it. We all need His help.

"I Trust Myself"
(parody of "I Touch Myself" by Divinyls; copyright by Nathan Ludwick 3/13/2019)
(Romans 10:9-13, Luke 6:46, Matthew 7, Proverbs 16:18, Luke 18:9-14, Proverbs 14:12, Romans 3, Proverbs 6:16-19, 1 Corinthians 10:12, Deuteronomy 30:15-20)

Well, God Himself- He wants us to love Him
If I'm real now- I know He's above me
I search for help- I want Him to find me
But forget all that- Don't want you to remind me

Chorus 1:
I don't want anybody's help
All I think, say or do- I trust myself
Ooh, I don't need anybody else
Oh no, oh no, oh no

I'm the one who's made my own fortune
Favourite son- the nation's pride
Ascended how? By my bootstraps, then
I'm always self-reliant ('k)
I close my eyes- won't see Truth before me
Rather would die than choose Life that's before me
"A fool believes there's no God" - I ignore You
I'd get down on my knees if You'd send The Way to see You

(Repeat Chorus 1)

I love myself- I want folks to love me
When I look down, I can't see above me
In church with bells, all income I'm tithing
I fast as well- I thank God I'm not like thieves

Adulterers, unGodly evil
Well, I think I've got virtue- I trust myself!
Ooh- I'll tell God I'm righteous by myself
Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!

18 Luke
IRS agent by myself
Would not link eyes with You- I judge myself
To - ooh be- ee ah ah sin-ner ah!

I so want Holy God's help
When I think of bad I do- I beat my breasts!
Ooh, You're rich in mercy, God- please help!
Confessed humbly to You- I'm justified

-Exalt myself (Background vocals: I don't need)
Adjust that shelf (BGV: Anybody else)
Humbled instead (BGV: 1st. Cor. chapter 10:12)
So watch your step

Humble myself (BGV: I so want)
Adjust that shelf (BGV: Holy God's help)
Exalted instead (BGV: I'm nothing without You)
-It's honestly true!

-Exalt myself (Background vocals: I don't need)
Adjust that shelf (BGV: Anybody's help)
Humbled instead (BGV: 1st. Cor. chapter 10:12)
-It's honestly true!

Humble myself
Adjust that shelf
Exalted instead


2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I thought you might like the RK shout out. :-) It kind of looks at three states of people- the unrepentant world that doesn't want God or His help (though if they're honest they would be forced to admit their need for Him), the ones who make a show of religiosity but don't really know or follow Christ and finally the ones who are truly humble for God and admit their need for Him and who actually get His salvation. The last part of the song more or less relays the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector.

    ReplyDelete