Sunday, April 13, 2014

The God of All Seasons (poem)

With the weather finally seeming to recently move into spring and/or summer weather (as it tends to go where I am) ;-), this seemed like an appropriate time to post this. This is a poem I wrote a little while back in an attempt to kind of turn on its head the common theme I tend to see in poetry and songs celebrating spring and/or summer as a reminder of God's love. (Not that those works are bad and not those seasons aren't, of course. I think everything is a reminder of God's love-even that which would be its antithesis only serves to remind us of how much we need God and His love.) So this is my ode to fall and winter and the ways that they also remind us of God's love.

The God of All Seasons

Original poem; copyright Nathan Ludwick December 2013
(Nehemiah 9:5-6, Psalms 19, Isaiah 55:8-11, Psalms 124:8, Psalms 147, Ecclesiastes 3, Psalms 136, Psalms 148, Psalms 139, Job 38-41, Isaiah 40:25-31, Psalms 113:3)

The God for all seasons
Loves us- won't leave us alone- so let's go!
(So come on!)
God is the God of order
I see His order in the progression
of seasons just like
He orders the steps of a righteous man
I feel the love of God in all the seasons all year long.
In spring, summer, fall and winter
In the chill and cold of winter
God's love warms the heart of this forgiven sinner
The winters and nights of my life remind that God sets everything in motion
The sun and seasons progress in His time- and in the summertime, the living is easy.
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me feel happy.
But it's the rainy days and Mondays that always bring me down from
an artificial high that comes with the good times and days of our lives.
It seems it's these times most of all
that I go and run to The One
Who loves me in every season of life.
Every good and perfect gift comes
from above-from the Father of Lights, The Lord Almighty.
And He makes everything alrighty then whatever the situation.
Praise God for the pain that He allows to rouse a deaf world.
I love a rainy night when my power's shut down and my distractions
are suddenly shut off.
It reminds me to look to the God
of Light and Love who turns it on
and brings me The Power.
It's not that I want discomfort and
trials and struggling, but it's what
I need so often- like a gun at my
head to keep me honest 'cause a good man is hard to find.
And anything good in me is Christ and not me.
I know He's still shaping me into His mold of
perfection and will finish one day at last-
But until then, it still stings to burn away the chaff.

2 comments:

  1. Nice poem, Nate! I could be wrong, but I think there was at least one pop-culture reference in there. :) And the second-to-last sentence seems familiar to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you may have seen a couple of familiar lines and/or allusions there... :-) Thanks, Kev.

    ReplyDelete