Sunday, October 5, 2014

66 Verses

Hey- here's a "survey" of sorts I came up with.
What's your favorite Bible verse?
Okay, besides John 3:16 (though that is an awesome verse that I can never hear enough :-) )
What's your favorite verse for each book of The Bible?
I've been going through and writing down 1 verse for each book of The Bible that I wanted to learn, so I thought I'd share them.
Try it yourself.  And then memorize them.  And more importantly, do them! :-)

(Now of course, I limited myself to just one verse- and I'm not trying to say that this verse represents the whole book- because it's ALL important!  And I love it ALL!  I just picked out some favorites...for instance, I'm really wanting to include this awesome verse somewhere so I'm gonna stick in here-
"Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what He has made crooked?" (Ecclesiastes 7:13- I LOVE this verse!!!  And God first really showed me how awesome that verse is when I saw it at the start of the 1997 movie "Gattaca"!!!- which is an awesome scifi movie with a great message- when properly edited...)
(So anyway- all of God's Word is important, so keep working at it so you can be like Jack Van Impe and memorize the whole Bible- Genesis through Revelation and even the maps! )
(If you don't quite have 66 verses yet, you can pass this along with at least 1 favorite Bible verse anyway...)

Genesis 1:1
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Exodus 3:14
"God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

Leviticus 11:45
"I am the Lord who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy."

Numbers 32:23
"But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the Lord; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out."

Deuteronomy 6:4-5
"Hear, O Israel! The LORD our God, the LORD is one. And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength."

Joshua 1:8-9
"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperou and succesful.  Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified: do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Judges 10:15-16
"But the Israelites said to the LORD, 'We have sinned. Do with us whatever You think best, but please rescue us now.' Then they got rid of the foreign gods among them and served the LORD. And He could bear Israel's misery no longer."

Ruth 1:16-18
"But Ruth replied, 'Don't urge me to leave you or turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where yout stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will died, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.' When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her."

1 Samuel 15:22
"But Samuel replied: 'Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.' "

2 Samuel 22:31-34
"As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him. For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on the heights."

1 Kings 18:38-39
"Then the fire of the LORD fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench. When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, 'The LORD- He is God! The LORD- He is God!' "

2 Kings 6:16-17
" 'Don't be afraid,' the prophet answered. 'Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.' And Elisha prayed, 'O, LORD, open his eyes so he may see.' Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha."

1 Chronicles 4:9-10
"Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, 'I gave birth to him in pain.' Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, 'Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let Your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.' And God granted his request."

2 Chronicles 2:5
"This will be a magnificent temple because our God is an awesome God, greater than any other."

Ezra 10:11
"Now make confession to the LORD, the God of your fathers, and do His will. Separate yourselves from the people around you and from your foreign wives."

Nehemiah 9:6
"You alone are the LORD. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything and the multitudes of Heaven worship You."

Esther 4:12-14
"When Esther's words were reported to Mordecai, he sent back this answer: 'Do not think that because you are in the king's house you alone of all Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?' "

Job 1:20-22
"At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.' In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing."

Psalms 1:1-2
"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night."

Proverbs 1:7
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."

Ecclesiastes 3:11
"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

Song of Songs (or Song of Solomon) 2:4
"He has taken me to the banquet hall, and His banner over me is love."

Isaiah 45:18
"For the LORD is God, and He created the heavens and earth and put everything in place. He made the world to be lived in, not to be a place of empty chaos."

Jeremiah 33:3
"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

Lamentations 3:22-23
"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness."

Ezekiel 18:23
" 'Do you think,' asks the Sovereign LORD, 'That I like to see wicked people die? Of course not! I only want them to turn from their wicked ways and live.' "

Daniel 3:16-18
"Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the King, 'O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from i, and He will rescue us from your hand, O King. But even if He does not, we want you to know, O King, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.' "

Hosea 2:19-20
"I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness and you will acknowledge the LORD."

Joel 2:12-13
" 'Even now,' declares the LORD, 'Return to Me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.' Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and He relents from sending calamity."

Amos 5:14-15
"Seek good, not evil, that you may live. Then the LORD God Almighty will be with you, just as you say He is. Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts. Perhaps the LORD God Almighty will have mercy on the remnant of Joseph."

Obadiah 1:4
" 'Though you soar like the eagle and make your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down,' declares the LORD."

Jonah 4:10-11
"But the LORD said, 'You have been concerned about this vine, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousad people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?"

Micah 7:18-20
"Who is a God like You, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of His inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; You will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea. You will be true to Jacob, and show mercy to Abraham, as You pledged on oath to our fathers in days long ago."

Nahum 1:7-8
"The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him, but with an overwhelming flood He will make an end of Nineveh; He will pursue His foes into darkness."

Habakkuk 3:18-19
"Yet I will rejoice in the LORD. I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights. For the director of music. On my stringed instruments."

Zephaniah 3:19-20
" 'At that time I will deal with all who oppressed you; I will rescue the lame and gather those who have been scattered. I will give them praise and honor in every land where they were put to shame. At that time I will gather you; at that time I will bring you home. I will give you honor and praise among all the peoples of the earth when I restore your fortunes before your very eyes,' says the LORD."

Haggai 1:2-3
"This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'These people say, 'The time has not yet come for the LORD's house to be built.' Then the word of the LORD came through the prophet Haggai, 'Is it time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin?' "

Zechariah 4:6
"So he said to me, 'This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty."

Malachi 1:14
"Cursed is the cheat who has an acceptable male in his flock and vows to give it, but then sacrifices a blemished offering to the LORD. 'For I am a great king,' say the LORD Almighty, 'And My name is to be feared among the nations.' "

Matthew 19:26
"Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.' "

Mark 9:41
"I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in My name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward."

Luke 2:7-14
"And she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped Him in cloths and placed Him in a manger, because there was no room in the inn. And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the LORD appeared to them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the LORD. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.' Suddenly a great company of the Heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom His favor rests.' "

John 14:6
"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except through Me.' "

Acts 4:19-20
"But Peter and John replied, 'Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.' "

Romans 8:10
"But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness."

1 Corinthians 1:25
"For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."

2 Corinthians 7:1
"Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God."

Galatians 5:24
"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires."

Ephesians 3:20-21
"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is a work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

Philippians 1:21
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

Colossians 3:23-24
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the LORD, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the LORD as a reward. It is the LORD Christ you are serving."

1 Thessalonians 5:23
"May God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our LORD Jesus Christ."

2 Thessalonians 3:13
"And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right."

1 Timothy 1:15-17
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners- of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

2 Timothy 3:14-15
"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."

Titus 3:4-7
"But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by Hi grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."

Philemon 1:4-6
"I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the LORD Jesus and your love for all the saints. I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ."

Hebrews 4:12-13
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account."

James 1:22
"Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."

1 Peter 3:15-17
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as LORD Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil."

2 Peter 3:8-9
"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the LORD a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The LORD is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

1 John 3:16-20
"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything."

2 John 1:12
"I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be made complete."

3 John 1:4
"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."

Jude 1:24-25
"To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy- to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our LORD, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Revelation 22:20-21
"He who testifies to these things says, 'Yes, I am coming soon.'
Amen. Come LORD Jesus. The grace of the LORD Jesus be with God's people. Amen."

2 comments:

  1. Pretty cool project you undertook! Good reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kevin. I put this together a while back and I pull it out every now and then and read them all over again. I have a copy printed out that I keep at work and sometimes I take a break and read through these Bible verses- great reminders of God's truth (and ones that particularly resonate with me, of course- though obviously all The Bible's verses are important. :-))

    ReplyDelete