Saturday, October 11, 2014

Obscure Clarity (poem)

     This is a poem I wrote a while back that I wanted to post on the blog here as I came across it in my old writings today. [Every now and then I like to repost some of my older writings from previous blogs and such just for archival purposes, and also because they are meaningful to me and I hope God may use them to encourage someone else too. :-)]
    It's kind of making fun of poems that are so deep with their meanings and have all these big words that you have to wade through to try to get to what you think the author meant. And the ambiguity that's almost purposefully put in place sometimes gets me annoyed sometimes- because you need to say what you mean and mean what you say. (Like Jesus said in Matthew 5:33-37) Of course, it's also written in a similar style as part of the joke. But catch the punchline at the end. (Bonus points to catch the references :-))
    Well, thanks to everyone who reads these things for faithfully doing that and for your prayers and God bless us, everyone! Hallelujah! Praise The Lord Jesus- He reigns! :-)

Obscure Clarity
....................
(copyright Nathan Ludwick 8/16/2008)
(Matthew 13:11-15, Proverbs 25:11, 1 Corinthians 1:25)

Insipid, vapid, rapid drips onto my page
Conspired, desired, inspired attempts in vain
What does it mean to glean meaning?
Is the inkwell deep or has it run dry?
Behind every conjured image does a metaphor hide?
Tired, mired, attired phrases to decipher
Incited, recited, invited analysis forms a cipher
Where everything is possible and nothing is as it seems
Enter the labyrinth to find out what it means
And the minotaur is just men who tire
Contrived, imbibed, arrived at what should be
Controlled, retold, untold concealed revealed themes
The world's foolish wisdom in majestic rhyme schemes
The Lord's wise foolishness plain, real and free

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, some poems are so deep for a reason and b/c it really conveys what they want to convey so much better than trying to say it plainly, but then there are some modern poems that don't necessarily have one specific intended meaning. As I always say (and I read it on a bumper sticker, actually), eschew obfuscation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that bumper sticker too. :-)

    ReplyDelete