Saturday, October 11, 2014

Prove 'Em Wrong (song)

[Note: Since I just recently completed a pretty different song parody based on the book of Job, I thought it might be fun to post my earlier song parody that dealt with Job. This one is from the summer of 2007. Enjoy! :-)]

I thought I'd post another writing for your enjoyment (or bemusement or begroanings or whatever ;-))
     When I originally finished this song parody, I really was quite excited with this one.  It's kind of inspired in some ways by the pastor at NewSpring Church (www.newspring.cc) (www.perrynoble.com) (which I attended for a while and was a member there when I lived in the area)
     At the time, I corresponded with the pastor through email every now and then and one time I left him a book called "I'm Not Mad at God" by David Wilkerson (which is really pretty awesome- I might post some from it later on) that I thought he might like.  He liked it and wanted to keep it- and so actually offered to buy me another copy- so I went to get that.  That was pretty cool- and the receptionist at the church let me get a free Coke Zero! Cool :-)
        Anyway, he deals with a lot of critics that object to some of the rather unorthodox things NewSpring Church does (I mean- obeying Jesus- imagine that! ;-))  And since a lot of criticism comes to him through email and bloggers, I put in a line toward that near the end. 
   And of course, I first heard the original song at that church!!!  (Yeah, the church worship band plays some secular music every now and then!  At church there, I've heard this song, that "You Are So Beautiful" song by Joe Cocker, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by The Charlie Daniels Band (um- the clean version), "Life is a Highway" (as performed by Rascal Flatts in the "Cars" movie), "White Wedding" by Billy Idol, "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye, "Fix You" by Coldplay, and "Hell's Bells" by AC/DC (they didn't sing any lyrics!) )
     Before you get upset about the music, they've used all these songs when they fit with the theme of the service and they generally have worked quite well, I think.  (They also play a lot of modern worship music- Steve Fee, Chris Tomlin, Hill Song United, etc.)- and even some hymns! - like "Amazing Grace" and "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus"
    (And hey, over the month of August 2007, they've seen like 800 people receive Christ as Savior- so that's pretty AWESOME!  Apparently the church is doing something right- mainly keeping the focus of the church on JESUS and HIS WORD! :-) I'm sure the numbers are even more now! :-) Praise God for all He's done with that church!)
              Okay- anyway, back to the song.  I had one idea for it at first- and put it aside for a while- and then picked it back up when I heard this great sermon on Job one Sunday morning.  And that was cool.  Job lost most everything he had!  And he still could say, "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord." And he didn't sin by accusing God of wrongdoing!  And if you read the end of the book, Job got back all he had at the start twicefold!  And so God gave me a great inspiration for this song with this sermon!  (And of course, He inspires everything I do- and gives me the ability to do anything! John 15:5)
        And this song is also inspired by and I guess dedicated to my younger friends who have been an encouragement and inspiration to me (and I know I've said this some before, but I really do mean it)- the FCA at ol' Pelion High School has really grown since I was there- and I'm glad for that!  It's definitely good to see that many of the **ah-hem**slightly** younger generation fired up for Christ!  NEVER lose that!!!  Don't let anyone get you down and discourage you in your walk with Christ.  I especially think of Relient K's song "What Have You Been Doing Lately?"- I know we all have our moments when we may fall down and God has to pick us up- but I don't ever want to see any of my Christian friends fall away from Jesus.  And don't let the world or the devil tell you this Christian life can't be done.  Jesus came to give us abundant LIFE (John 10:10)- I want to keep that same passion for life and for Jesus flaming every day!  So, just stay strong and keep on!  (I also think of the "Facing the Giants" movie a lot with this song)
   Also, you might like my Chris Rice reference in there- check out his new album! ("What a Heart is Beating For") Sheol is the Hebrew word for the grave- also translated as Hell in some verses.  And don't depress me and ask me what Pong is ;-)
           Okay- enough prattling on my part.  Here you go.
(Fun midi to sing along to-http://www.mididelight.com/midi_files/modern_rock/move_along.mid)

"Prove 'Em Wrong"           
 (parody of "Move Along" by The All-American Rejects; copyright by Nathan Ludwick 08/28/2007)
(Job 1:20-22, 2:9-13, 13:15, 16:1-5, 19:25-27, 42:1-6, 42:10-16
James 5:11, Psalms 7, John 17:15-17,  Hebrews 3:1, 11, 12:1-14, Romans 8:28, Philippians 1:6, James 5:13-15)

Verse 1
Go ahead as you waste these days with thinking
"When you fall, it's 'cause you're bad"
Another day and Job's had his fill of prattling
With his wife telling him,
"Abandon your faith in the Lord,
Things can't be worse in Sheol"

Chorus 1
Seems to me, when all your hopes and dreams are gone
Move along, sing a song like Job chose to do
And even when your world is wrong
Move along and read on- Job 1:22
Moving on! Sing a song!

Verse 2
Though He slay me, I trust the Lord completely
Could be tonight when my life ends
Such a faith that will leave me still believing
In the end my Redeemer
Stands upon the earth
His hands held mine since birth!

Chorus 2
Seems to me, when all you ever see is wrong
You keep on and abscond what the world tells you
And even when you lope along
You stay strong and bank on James 5:11 too!
7 Psalms!

(Go on, go on, go on, go on)
We're in the world and not of, it feels like Pong
(Go on, go on, go on, go on)
When everything is wrong, Hebrews 3:1
(E)leven, 12:1, Run on!

When all Job's fragile things were gone
Move along and read on- Chapter 42
And read in 10 how Job got on
El-Elyon poured it on- all Job's stuff times two!

When all your hopes and dreams are gone
Move along, sing a song- like Job showed you to
And even when your world is wrong
You keep on, trust in God- Jesus is holding you!

When all you ever see is wrong
Just stay strong, sing a song- like God told you to
And even when you can't go on
Just hold on and stay strong- God's not done with you!

(Go on, go on, go on, go on)
So much for my sad song
We move along
(Go on, go on, go on, go on)
Fight back and stay strong
Now move along
(Go on, go on, go on, go on)
When skeptics write a blog
Prove 'em wrong!
(Go on, go on, go on, go on)
He'll right back what is wrong
We move along
.........................................
Thus endeth this chronicle. 
Until next time- keep moving on- with Jesus!
:-)
                                           

2 comments:

  1. You like the numbers in your songs. :) Good song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kevin. Yes, I like the numbers and of course, Numbers (and all the other books of The Bible) in my songs. :-)

    ReplyDelete